- Libreria: B & L Rootenberg (Stati Uniti)
- Membro ILAB-LILA
- Anno pubblicazione: 1796
- Editore: De l'Imprimerie du Cercle-Social
- Soggetti: ,18TH CENTURY, ASTRONOMY, FRENCH IMPRINTS,PHYSICS, boston2011
- Peso di spedizione: 1.000 g
- Luogo di pubblicazione: Paris
FIRST EDITION Contemporary half-calf and marbled boards; generally browned due to paper stock, some signatures more than others. Book label of Fratelli Salimbeni and bookplate with initials CPC and motto, "nec adversa retorquent.". First edition. A remarkable work which presents the author's explanation of the origin and formation of the solar planetary system. Laplace's celebrated nebular hypothesis as well as his discoveries on the rotation of the moon, its elliptic path, etc., are included. The Systeme is divided into five books. The last book contains the author's brilliant history of astronomy, which was considered a masterpiece of French literature, and procured his admission to the French Academy. This work went into many editions; the first edition is now quite scarce.